This is a snack which I long wanting to make. Is difficult to find purple sweet potato here, I have been searching for it for sometimes until I nearly give up. However, one day when I pass through an Asian Groceries shop, here it is...sitting together with the big piles of golden sweet potato with a big sign in front said "purple". It is my first time seeing purple sweet potato with white skin and purple inner. In Singapore, I always use the purple sweet potato which is slimmer with purple skin and purple inner. As you know, I still can't find the freshly grated coconut so I'm using the frozen shredded coconut.
I'm using the recipe adapted from Anncoo Journal's beautiful Ondeh Ondeh. Thank you for sharing the recipe. The texture of the ondeh ondeh is chewy and it has the tasty palm sugar explode in our mouth :D Is indeed lovely!
Recipe adapted from Anncoo Journal
160g glutinous rice flour
10g tapioca flour
120g purple sweet potato, steam and mash
80-100g pandan water (boil 300g water with some pandan leaves)
150g gula melaka (palm sugar, diced)
200g frozen shredded coconut
1. Steam the frozen shredded coconut with 1/4 tsp salt for 10 mins. set aside.
2. Mix glutinous rice flour, tapioca flour and mash purple sweet potato together, slowly add 80g pandan water, knead into a smooth dough. If dough too dry add a little more pandan water or add a little more flour if it is too wet. (This depends on the water contain of the purple sweet potato)
3. Pinch dough into small ball, slightly press flat and fill in the gula melaka. Roll it into a smooth ball.
4. Bring a pot of water to boil and drop the little dough balls in it. When they float to the surface, let it boil for another 2-3 mins.
5. Remove them with a slotted spoon and shake off excess water.
6. Roll the cooked glutinous balls over the shredded coconut.