14 May 2012

Steamed Sticky Rice with Nyonya Flavour (Steamed Glutinous Rice)


I love glutinous rice (sticky rice) since young. That time we had sticky rice only for special occasion, usually when the relatives celebrate their babies first month birthday, they would give us the turmeric rice with curry chicken and Ang Ku Kueh. My late grandpa loves to eat the turmeric rice too, we were given just a bit of the share because there were many of us.

Now, I in charge of my own kitchen and can cook whatever I like, of course this sticky/glutinous rice will be in the list of my recipe. The rice itself is flavourful and delicious if you can make it into Pulut Panggang (Grilled Glutinous Rice), Pulut Inti, Turmeric Rice, Loh Mai Gai (Steamed Glutinous Rice with Chicken) and many more.

I always soak an extra cup of glutinous rice in my fridge, today mission is to clear the glutinous rice :) To make a better presentation for tonight dinner, I make it into Asian delight... Nyonya Flavour using the recipe from Aromas of Kuihs by Amy Wong. If you are lazy to pound the ingredients for filling like me, just make sure you chopped the ingredients as fine as you can.





Recipe adapted from Aromas of Kuih by Amy Wong with minor changes
Ingredients for filling A:
75g dried prawns (chopped)
75g grated coconut (or you may used dessicated coconut)

Ingredients for filling B:
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tbsp light soy sauce

Ingredients for filling C (I chopped all into fine, you may opt to pound it):
30g shallot
5g garlic
1/2 pieces lemongrass
2 chillies
1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tbsp cekor powder (omitted)

Step for fillings:
1. Heat up 2 tbsp oil and fry filling C till fragrant.
2. Add dried prawns and filling B, then fry till fragrant.
3. Add grated coconut and fry till fragrant.

Ingredients A:
300g glutinous rice
50ml coconut milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cooked black glutinous rice
some water

Ingredients B:
100g glutinous rice
50ml coconut milk
1/4 tsp salt
15g turmeric powder
50ml water

Step:
1. Mix ingredients A (except black glutinous rice). Add some water to cover the glutinous rice, about 1/4 inch from the surface of rice. Steam for 35 mins till rice is cooked. Set aside.
2. Mix ingredients B. Add water to cover the glutinous rice, about 1/4 inch from the surface of rice. Steam for 35 mins till rice is cooked.
3. Add ingredients A with black glutinous rice, stir well.
4. Place yellow glutinous rice irregularly into a small mould (I used a 3 inch cookies cutter). Place some white glutinous rice into the mould, compress the rice till half full.
5. Add some fillings and level it. Add white glutinous rice again and compress the rice till full. Steam for 15 mins. Remove from mould. (I actually remove the mould before putting it into steamer as I only has a 3 inch cookies cutter, the rice keep it shapes very well)


20 comments:

  1. I super love glutinous rice too, hehehe ..This steamed glutinous rice is very special and look beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours look very colourful! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, the turmeric flavour is intense and blend well with the dried prawns filling!

      Delete
  3. I love the mixed colours of your sticky rice. Looks so pretty and yummy! Please share some :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! these sticky rice looks pretty indeed, I have yet to try this before, I bet must taste good for glutinous rice lovers like me:D I don't like normal rice but love glutinous rice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Jeannie then you must quickly swing into action! You will love it :)

      Delete
  5. i like glutinous rice too...this Nyonya steamed rice looks pretty in the colors and for sure, it's yummy...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherleen, I bookmarked this recipe for quite sometime, everyday when I flip to this glutinous rice page, I want to make this dish. The filling is delicious to go with the glutinous rice.

      Delete
  6. These Nonya kuehs are so beautifully made. You even have black glutinous rice as polka dots designs on their topping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, indeed the yellow turmeric rice add a strong flavour to this dish, however, the black glutinous rice mainly for decoration :) not my idea, is Amy Wong creation :)

      Delete
  7. I like to look at the colour of this kuih. Very appealing! But it seems like involve lots of steps leh!! haha.. But worth it when you see the beautiful final product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Li Shuan, not lot of steps lah, just the cookbook categories it into few sections, all add into a wok and just fried. The rest you can used multi layers steamer to steam at one-go ...hahaha

      Delete
  8. now only they look pretty, they sound really delicious too. did you just change to a new camera? i noticed that the pictures look better than before. Do you mind to tell me what camera you are using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good observation Lena :) yes, change camera since my post for Castella, is using D80 Nikon, still trying on it. Recent posts tried on close up, but with my shaky hands sometimes it doesn't get good result.

      Delete
    2. thanks, tze! i think your close up pictures are great, the ccf pictures are very nice! i've been longing to get a new camera but my camera now is doing fine..i just wait and see..

      Delete
  9. Whoa, I've almost missed out all your breakfast goodness, Tze! Just can't stop eyeing on your latest morning tidbits. Everything looks truly mouthwatering...gosh...even make me drool over & over again. haha.... Thanks so much for sharing all these wonderful recipes. Bookmarked!
    Enjoy & have a great weekend, dear.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!