17 May 2012

Savoury Yam Cake (Wo Tow Ko)


As usual when come the time to take the food photos it is in the evening. Today, I changed my location for photos shooting, the window is not cover by the canopy, see there are lot of different in the brightness. Evening sun is not the real issue. Finally, I learnt a bit more about the camera :) WT should be very happy I used his camera to the fullest...nearly everyday...hehehe.

Gabriel ate the yam cake for the first time and he loves it, he ate the yam cake together with the shallots!! I think when he heard about "cake" he thought this is "the cake", all mummies, you know what I mean...:D






Yam cake batter before the steaming process, the batter should be thick and not watery.

Recipe adapted from Malaysian Hawker Favourites Cookbook by Rohani Jelani with minor changes
Ingredients:
400g yam, peeled and cut into cube
4 shallots, diced
1 tbsp dried prawns, soaked (used 2 tbsp)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp five spice powder (used 1.5 tsp)
a dash of white pepper
100g rice flour
3 tbsp tapioca starch or corn starch
1 tsp salt
550ml water
1/4 tsp alkali water (omitted)

Garnishes:
3 tbsp crispy fried shallots
3 tbsp thinly sliced spring onion
sweet chili sauce

Step:
1. Steam the yam cubes for 20 mins. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a wok, stir fry the shallots until just browned. Add dried prawns, stir fry for 2 to 3 mins, then add the steamed yam cubes and stir fry for another 2 mins. Add salt, five spice powder and pepper, mix and remove from heat.
3. Combine rice flour, tapioca flour, salt and water in a pan. Mix until mixture is smooth and free of lumps. Heat the mixture over low heat, stirring continuously with  a wooden spoon until it thickens. Remove pan from heat, add yam cubes and mix well.
4. Transfer the yam cake mixture to a oiled steaming tray. Cover and steam for 25~30 mins. Allow to cool completely before cutting.
5. Garnish before serving.






14 comments:

  1. Like your Yam Cake. Looks like more yam and less flour. Small qty too. Thanks for sharing, will try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this recipe is with more yam and less flour. But is not small quantity it fill the 8" round metal tray to the top. The fragrant of the yam fill the kitchen during steaming time :) Looking forward to see your creation!

      Delete
    2. Tried your yam cake recipe. I liked and know how it tasted. My creation not as good as the 'sifu' hehehe. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I like yam cake alot. Its lunch time now,care to share some with me ? hehe...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. is lunch time! despatch to you via special delivery :DDD

      Delete
  3. very nice clicks, i like the pictures
    and the yam cake, it is marvelous...i wish to have a bite too...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherleen, thanks! still learning to use this camera :)

      Delete
  4. i wish to have some for my afternoon tea now..i feel like want to do this immediately, one of my favourite..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, Sonia! when come to this type of cake, really make me drooling too. The flavour of yam is unique and flavourful!

      Delete
  5. Wah your yam cake looks so delicious. Now, I feel like making it now, haha! I made yam cake once a very long time ago! Can't find people to share eating it with me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this yam cake too and used to cook it quite often until my sons said please, no more lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have also problems with light in the house right now, I am waiting for more sunny days:)


    Blog about life and travelling
    Blog about cooking

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!
Please be nice and no SPAM here!